Fatehpur Sikri
.jpg)
Fatehpur
Sikri is a city and a municipal board in
Agra district in the state of Uttar Pradesh, India. The city was founded in
1569 by the Mughal emperor Akbar, and served as the capital of the Mughal
Empire from 1571 to 1585. After his military victories over Chittor and
Ranthambore, Akbar decided to shift his capital from Agra to a new location 23
miles (37 km) W.S.W on the Sikri ridge, to honor the Sufi saint Salim Chishti.
Here he commenced the construction of a planned walled city which took the next
fifteen years in planning and construction of a series of royal palaces, harem,
courts, a mosque, private quarters and other utility buildings. He named the
city, Fatehabad, with Fateh, a word of Arabic origin in Persian, meaning
"victorious." it was later called Fatehpur Sikri. It is at Fatehpur
Sikri that the legends of Akbar and his famed courtiers, the nine jewels or
Navaratnas, were born.[citation needed] Fatehpur Sikri is one of the best
preserved collections of Mughal architecture in India.
The
Imperial complex was abandoned in 1585, shortly after its completion, due to
paucity of water and its proximity with the Rajputana areas in the North-West,
which were increasingly in turmoil. Thus the capital was shifted to Lahore so
that Akbar could have a base in the less stable part of the empire, before
moving back Agra in 1598, where he had begun his reign as he shifted his focus
to Deccan. In fact, he never returned to the city except for a brief period in
1601. In later Mughal history it was occupied for a short while by Mughal
emperor, Muhammad Shah (r. 1719 -1748), and his regent, Sayyid Hussain Ali Khan
Barha, one of the Syed Brothers, was murdered here in 1720. Today much of the
imperial complex which spread over nearly two mile long and one mile wide area
is largely intact and resembles a ghost town. It is still surrounded by a five
mile long wall built during its original construction, on three sides. However
apart from the imperial buildings complex few other buildings stand in the
area, which is mostly barren, except of ruins of the bazaars of the old city
near the Naubat Khana, the 'drum-house' entrance at Agra Road. The modern town
lies at the western end of the complex, which was a municipality from 1865 to
1904, and later made a "notified area", and in 1901 had a population
of 7,147. For a long time it was still known for its masons and stone carvers,
though in Akbar time it was known and 'fabrics of hair' and 'silk-spinning'.
No comments:
Post a Comment